måndag 9 mars 2009

Akosombo by the Volta River

On Sunday me, Kajsa and Isaac drove to Akusumbo, a town situated by the Volta lake. This lake is the largest constructed lake in the world. While driving from Tema situated on the coast to this area, the landscape changed pretty dramatically. Akusumbo region is much more green and hilly, we passed what was called the Shai hills, which seems more like mountains to me! Apparently people are still living in these "hills", alongside with baboons and other monkeys. Kajsa saw a baboon sitting among the trees, on the ground when we passed by. Isaac said that when he was a child before the road was asphalted, there used to be a lot of baboons and antilopes to be seen in this area.
In the car we were listening to, according to Isaac, a Ghanaian music genre called highlife, i found it really nice. He was translating the lyrics as all wasn´t in English. He said all songs have a message, "to be good". I found the stories very nicely put. They reminded me of the stories told in the Gambia.
We were stopped by the police going there and this female police officer comes up to me, with a big gun hanging on her chest, she called me Ubruni (foreigner or white person) and started asking questions about where we were going etc. Unpleasant, well frankly she scared the crap out of me, her attitude was tough and i didn't know what she wanted from me. And that's just it, Isaac told me, they want something. In this case only information. I was calm and smiled, answering her questions. I've been stopped twice now in a week. I hope this was the last time.
The stay in Akusumbo was fantastic though, beautiful scenery, plenty of pictures were taken of it (bringing the camera, i behave well!), and then we stopped for lunch at this place right by the river where they also had animals. I had a tasty dish, fresh fish from the Volta! I took pictures... Only have six minutes left on the computer though, so wont go into details, i'm at an internet cafe...
And while enjoying our lunch outdoors, two metres from the water, i experienced an african storm... Powerful. These are the moments when you feel pretty small. We sat holding our glasses filled with the beer brand Star (produced by Guinness for Ghana i believe), delicious! But then the rain started and we had to run to the restaurant... Beautiful!
Time to finish off, will write more soon and once again, thank you for your e-mails! Hugs!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar