fredag 27 mars 2009

Back in Accra






I arrived in Accra today after two days in Aburi. Since i have just written about my arrival in Aburi, i'll let you know what i did in the area. First thing i did after having breakfast, on the terrasse with the fantastic view, was to grab a taxi to Mampong, a village situated about 15 minutes from Aburi. There i went to see the first cocoa farm that was established in Ghana by a man named Tetteh Quarshie; a well travelled Ghanaian man from what is today called Accra. He returned to the Goald Coast (Ghana) with a plant he had smuggled from what today is called Equatorial Guinea. You follow me? I hope so. It was a great tour of the farm, the guide was great, i took so many notes and learnt a lot. I left this place with some Ghanaian equivalent of m&m and one african art sculpture... and many pictures. That reminds me, yesterday my charger burnt up!! I was sitting in my room and i smelled something, they had sprayed my room to kill mosquites so i thought, yeezz that stuff smells. All of a sudden i hear a crackling noise, i turn around and my charger and wire is on fire! Aaaah! It must have had some safety thing built in because the wire was shot from the actual charger, luckily, because otherwise my pictures could have been history... Parts from the ones saved on a disc that is!
Anyways, after the cocoa tour i went to the Botanical Gardens in Aburi and strolled around, it was alright. As i believe i have said before, this country is a Botanical garden to me, so it's a bit weird to visit a place which has a sign in front of it stating it... I had a nice lunch there, the owner and his friend from the UK started chatting away, it was nice. We spoke mostly about Ghana- past, present, future. Afterwards three things happened woth mentioning; I was walking around in the gardens when a small school kid approached me with the famous ubruni, he said he wanted to show me some trees. I thought to myself: i'm looking at them right now, but said: no thank you, knowing he wanted money, of course. The second, and probably the sadest and rudest experience so far was two children in their school uniforms who, of course, got my attention with "ubruni, ubruni". One of them walked up to me and said he wanted my water bottle, i had just bought it, and i was lucky becuase lack of small change can at times cause problems if you don't have it. I could for example not buy water at the restaurant where i had had a complete meal because they didn't have change. That's why i was very thankfl to find a place which had a small 50 cl bottles for which i did have change... I told the kid he couldn't have it, because i needed it. The other one joins in saying he wants me to give him money for food, i said i can not give him money, and believe me, this kid was not starving. They left me. Then i heard them giggling and one of the kids walked up to me, started commenting my breasts?! A ten-year-old or so, then i had had it. I looked him straight in the eyes and told him what i thought of him in that moment. He got it. They left me alone. I walked out, annoyed, to get a taxi to my hotel and the taxi driver totally tried to overcharge me, i told him i knew it only cost a third of what he requested. I said i'll walk then. He looked at me with big eyes saying "you'll walk there?". Oh yes man, i am, rather that than you ripping me off (i didn't say the last part). All said with a smile of course. The Ghanaian way. I walked. It was hot. I arrived at the hotel, sat down on the terrasse and had plenty of water and one Coca-Cola. Stubborn, yes. Ripped off, no.
I had a good cockroach free night and this morning i grabbed a taxi to Accra. Staying here tonight, and tomorrow i'm going to Cape Coast to relax on the beach (or not) and visit a slave fort named Elmina. Will be back in Accra on Monday. Jonas and Rasmus will be here then, they are going back to Sweden on Wednesday. Will be nice to hang with them when we aren't working. Now i'll try to find a charger, which i haven't succeeded in doing yet! Wish me luck, otherwise there wont be anymore pictures!
Many hugs to all of you dedicated readers:)

1 kommentar:

  1. Ja, Jessica, det är jattekul att följa dina äventyr! Här träffades vi igår och såg en film om Guatemala, "El Norte", det var bra och väldigt fint med färger av kläderna och också i byggnader och kyrkor... jag kan tänka mig det kan vara så på marknaderna i Ghana, färgglad. Men lycka med att hitta laddaren, sedan måste du ha en riktig vissning här! Jag åker till Denver nästa veckan men ha det kul dina sista dagar i Ghana och vi ses sedan! Kramar, Clara

    SvaraRadera